Tuesday 14 September 2010

Bun Maska and Chai

The chai time chronicles all began at St. Xavier’s College, Dhobi Talao, Mumbai... The ubiquitous chai at the college canteen was one great affair as all the discussions and debates originated over a cuppa. But the zing to chai was added only when the bun maska was served. A slice of the buttered bun dipped a little into a hot steaming cup was shared by at least a dozen of folks surrounding the table.  Often the Bun Maska was savoured at nearby Irani restaurants like Kyanis, Sassanian and the Red Rose. The taste of the delicious buns that my mom bought from American Express bakery at Kemps Corner, Mumbai still lingers on. Why Bun Maska and not Maska Bun? I guess that’s the terminology the waiter used at the Irani joints and it stuck on.  
Journey to Baroda after passing out of St. Xavier’s did not stop my affair with the Bun Maska... The chai wallahs outside the Polytechnic Hostel Campus served the same Bun Maska with generous dollops of homemade butter – I loved the difference, though the tea was much sweeter in Baroda. As my journey to Ahmedabad continued, la affaire with Bun Maska continued. The two joints I loved to have this much sweeter version were Ruthuraj Tea Stall opposite the Gujarat University (B.K.School) and the famous Times of India at Ashram Road.
Now my liaison with Bun Maska has deteriorated because it has added oodles of fat and of course Trupti takes care that I do not sneak onto any of these scrumptious delights. But once in a blue moon she brings home some freshly baked buns from Imperial bakery (the bakery is right next to her office in Shahpur) and my dream is relived.
Now you all know why my blog is called Bun Maska. It not only brings back cherished memories but is a place for all things sundry. A nice cup of tea, sit down and Bun Maska makes life more liveable.

6 comments:

Samir said...

Hi Apu, welcome to the world of blogging. Its great fun. Though initially it will consume quite a bit of time, over the few weeks things do settle down. Lets us document in APY the bun maska centers of Ahmedabad and while doing so we must binge in those bun's with 2 inches of sinful butter layer (which I am told is actually m_ _ _ ton tello). What ever it is, its very tasty and unstoppable though one does feel kinda guilty

Bun Maska said...

@ Sam Thanks for your "dhakka" into blogging. M. Tallow or not, Bun Maska is must esp on APY tours.

Minesh Shah said...

Appu............our stomachs are like buns and maska's have come out all over......still i feel that it is a good choice......i love cream rolls........yummy........

niketan said...

In the very near future CLUB105 will have to be rechristened to BLOGGING CLUB 105. BUN MASKA AND CHAI ..Keep writing ..dont stop inbetween ..the way u stopped after 2007..u write well

Bun Maska said...

@Minesh: Cream rolls, a good alternative, does no good to our tummies either.

@Niketan: Thanks for you encouragement. My earlier blogging experience was not good as I did not share with friends. Will continue sharing the blogs with you all.

Sharvari Shah said...

Hi uncle,
While reading your post I kept playing with the term BUN MASKA /MASKA BUN... figuring out which one is the correct term. I know both mean the same, taste the same still I find myself arguing with my friends from mumbai that its maska bun and not the other way round.. this was just a random comment.
I am glad you and dad and hopefully rest of the uncles (oops) are entering the blogger world. The discussions that take place, thoughts shared do not depend on any age group or social meetings and who knows at times one builds up a new hobby.
Do go through my blogs too. ( I have two)
waiting for the next post.